[Snort-users] compile cannot find libcap-04

Chris Owen chris at ...475...
Tue Sep 19 15:22:26 EDT 2000

Libpcap's installer is not broken.

To install libpcap.a type:

	make install or make all

to install the headers type:

	make install-incl

to install the man pages type:

	make install-man

This is how it has always worked and is working in at least libpcap 0.5.2
and -current which I just tested.  Check the Makefile that's created after
you ./configure.

I downloaded the tarballs from http://www.tcpdump.org.

Why would you want the headers installed by default?.  What if you didn't
plan on doing any compiling against them on a box?  The Makefile is correct.

I'm not aware of how tcp_wrappers is setup but I assume if you were to check
the Makefile you'd find something strikingly similar in functionality to the
libpcap Makefile.

Supa Dupa!

 Chris Owen
 Total Connect Communications

P.S.  I hope you're talking about libpcap and not a 'libcap' like the
subject suggests and I'm not making an ass of myself. =D