[Snort-users] ?Q? Snort without IP address bound to the NIC?!?

Dragos Ruiu dr at ...381...
Mon Sep 18 00:52:44 EDT 2000

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, stefmit at ...384... wrote:
> I have the following problem: need to install snort on a laptop
> (with Mandrake 7.1 - if that matters) and run it on my DMZ for a
> couple of days - the problem is that I have no more IP addresses
> left to use on the DMZ, thus no way I can setup my laptop with
> one. Anybody seeing a problem here (or any hints in this regard)?

Your laptop doesn't need an address in your dmz to _receive_ packets.
Either activate the interface without an IP address (try "ifconfig eth0 up"),
or give it some bogus address like 4.4.4.4 and monitor away....

The address would only be neccesary if you would need to transfer data
from the laptop over the network.

cheers,
--dr

--
Dragos Ruiu <dr at ...50...>   dursec.com ltd. / kyx.net - we're from the future
gpg/pgp key on file at wwwkeys.pgp.net