[Snort-users] Spade initial release

James Hoagland hoagland at ...47...
Wed Sep 13 16:33:01 EDT 2000

Greetings,

Silicon Defense is please to announce the initial release of SPADE,
the Statistical Packet Anomaly Detection Engine.

Spade is a Snort preprocessor plugin that looks at TCP SYN packets to
specified networks, and sends alerts about those that are unusual
(e.g., the have a destination port/host combination rarely seen on
your network).  This might indicate some probing or scanning that is
occurring (or it might be something benign that just seems unusual).
You can find out more information and download a copy from:

   http://www.silicondefense.com/spice/

We look forward to hearing your experiences with it.  We have used it
to find portscan events and apparent probes that we would not have
otherwise known about.

Best regards,

   Jim
|*  Voice: (707) 445-4355 x13          Fax: (707) 826-7571  *|