[Snort-users] Problem with snort and AIX

Barry Wenger barry.wenger at ...399...
Wed Sep 6 12:32:39 EDT 2000

Note:  The same error in that I could not get the system to recognize /dev/en0

>>> Barry Wenger <barry.wenger at ...399...> 09/06/2000 8:39:53 AM >>>
I also went through an abortive attempt to run this on AIX - same error.  I gave it up and now run it on a Compaq Linux based system.
Barry

>>> "Thomas Nilsson" <thomas.nilsson at ...416...> 09/06/2000 1:48:35 AM >>>
Hello! Im having alot of AIX boxes and I want to use Snort with them. But, it wont work, I get the following error when starting the program:

root at ...417...:/usr/local/bin>snort -c snort.cfg
[?] NOTICE: _PATH_VARRUN is unavailable!
   => Logging Snort PID to log directory (/var/log/snort)

Initializing Network Interface...
ERROR: OpenPcap() device en0 open:
        /dev/en0: No such file or directory
root at ...417...:/usr/local/bin>

As you can see, the issue seems to be the network interface. Any other AIX users out there who can tell me what might be wrong?

Thanks!

Regards,

Thomas

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !