[Snort-users] Error logging to Mysql

Jed Pickel jed at ...153...
Wed Sep 6 12:02:19 EDT 2000

> Everything seems to be working except I see this error when I start snort and
> it doesn't seem to log anything to the database. Anyone have any ideas what I
> am doing wrong?
> log_database: Database type is mysql
> log_database: Database name is snort
> log_database: User set to snort
> log_database: Host set to localhost
> Error:

The older versions of the database plugin did a poor job at reporting
errors. Based on these messages, this error is most likely a problem
connecting to the database or a problem with permissions on the
database. Check to make sure the username, password, and database name
is not misspelled and that you have proper permissions set on the
database.

If this does not fix the problem then you may want to try the latest
development version. The development version is available from CVS and
can be obtained by typing the following commands.

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.snort.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/snort login
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.snort.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/snort co snort

Just hit the enter key when prompted for a password.

Anyway, the code in CVS is _significantly_ better at clearly reporting
errors. If you do use it note that you will have to rebuild your
database structure with the "create_mysql" script that is in CVS.

* Jed