[Snort-users] problem logging to a mysql database under OpenBSD

Jed Pickel jed at ...153...
Mon Oct 30 19:26:43 EST 2000

> > I am running OpenBSD 2.7 and snort 1.6.3 with mysql 3.23.27-beta
> and now I am > trying to log a mysql database, however snort refuses
> to start. There seems > to be something in snort calling a symbol
> "_floor" that doesn't exist in > libmysqlclient.so.10.0. Anyway,
> here the commandline to fire snort up; floor is called by the mysql
> client. quick and easy "fix" is add -lm to either LIBS or LDFLAGS in
> the Makefile. e.g.  LIBS = -lm -lmysqlclient -lpcap -lsocket -lnsl
> 'course, if you rerun configure, it'll disappear, so the "correct"
> way is to add the change to configure.in I sent Jed a fix for this
> problem but I don't think it made it in yet...

I had previously thought this was just a Solaris issue and had a
specific configure.in fix for that. Does anyone know what the specific
cause of this error is? What condition causes the mysqlclient library
to need or not need floor()? The strange thing is that the need for
it does not seem to be tied to a particular OS or MySQL version. If we
can figure the specific condition where floor() is needed I can put a
better check for it in configure.in.

Until then the temporary hack is to just include the -lm any time
mysqlclient is used. This fix is in the latest CVS version.

* Jed