[Snort-users] Snort-IDS-HOWTO

Andrea Barisani lcars at ...96...
Fri Oct 27 07:08:15 EDT 2000

Hi to all!

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Gene R. Gomez wrote:

> Hey folks,
> Has anyone attempted to write a HOWTO for the LDP on a snort implementation?
> I've been tinkering with snort for a short while now (around 2 weeks), but
> my work would have been much easier if a HOWTO had existed when I started.

I think that it would be nice writing a general IDS-HOWTO, defining common
intrusion detection system installation and configuration but also general
policies and actions to take against an intrusion, rules for
interpretation of log files and packet dump, hints for avoiding false
alerts, other general procedures for maintenance and so on...

INFIS Network Administrator & Security Officer
Department of Physics       - University of Trieste
lcars at ...96... - PGP Key 0x8E21FE82