[Snort-users] Odd packets... maybe a new Trojan?

Lance Spitzner lance at ...185...
Wed Oct 25 08:47:32 EDT 2000

Based on your packet capture,  we can be certain that these
are crafted packets and NOT random network traffic :)

The scan you see below may be an Individual looking for a backdoor
or Trojan.  Perhaps he knows of a 'black-hat' application that he
or someone else created/modified that listens on that port.  Perhaps
he is trying to find a system listening on that port.  In my opinion,
it is NOT worth trying to find out exactly what service port 9704 is.
It is FAR to easy for the badguys to modify default ports, so it really
could be anything.

If you are really curious and must know, fire up netcat on a sacrificial
ssytem listening on this port, then capture the data payload when he connects.

lance