[Snort-users] snort-1.6.3-patch2-WIN32-mysql

Jed Pickel jed at ...153...
Tue Oct 24 19:58:35 EDT 2000

> I would like to deploy standalone sensors that report back to a single MySQL
> database.  I have the database working fine on a central platform (FreeBSD
> 4, Snort 1.70 Beta and MySQL 3.22).  However, when I compile/install/run
> Snort 1.70 on a remote machine, configured to report to the central server,
> it wants to use the MySQL server running locally.  (I'd prefer not even to
> install MySQL client/server on the remote machine.)
>
> What am I missing?  I thought this would be the function of the
> "host=hostname" parameter on the locally executed Snort rules?

Hmmm.. I am not sure I understand the issue. Are you having trouble
logging to a database on a remote host? If so send me a copy of your
configuration and the messages snort displays where the problem is.

The sensor machines will not require the full mysql distro... They
will only need the mysqlclient library.

* Jed