[Snort-users] difficulties with -D

Gene R. Gomez ggomez at ...677...
Mon Oct 23 12:14:05 EDT 2000

Hey folks,
I'm using snort-1.6.3-patch2, and having problems with -D.  Essentially,
when I explicitly start snort without the -D option, everything works fine;
however, if I specify -D, /var/log/messages reflects that eth0 is entering
promiscuous mode, then IMMEDIATELY dropping out.  I've noticed that, when I
run snort from the command line, as soon as I exit snort it looks like the
timing is turning off promiscuous right away, but the entry for leaving
promiscuous doesn't pop up in the logs until I exit the application;
however, while the -D version of snort is running, the entry is made
immediately into the log, and snort isn't picking up traffic.
I've tried just using & at the end of the command to start it up
semi-interactively and then push it to the background, but snort halts when
I do this.
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

-Gene