[Snort-users] rules precision

Raphael Bauduin rb at ...573...
Wed Oct 11 09:37:55 EDT 2000

Hi!

This is the second time I send this mail because it seems my first attempt
didn't make it (our mail server had some problems.....)
Sorry if you alredy got it....

Here's how I'd like to use snort:
we have a private LAN (192.168) and I want to verify that there are no
suspect activities on it. But a lot of suspect activity could come from a
machine on the LAN. (some machines have a   public interface. So if an
intruder cracks one of the machines with a public IP, he will try to go
further on the private LAN and the suspect activity will come from HOME_NET)

My question is: I see a lot of rules that specify "from !HOME_NET". I suppose
that if the suspect activity comes from a machine on my private lan, it won't
be detected... Is it usefull to rewrite all rules so they match "from
HOME_NET"? Where can I look for rules usefull for my specific needs?

Thanks from your advices!

Raph

             |  /\\     Linux for ever     //\  |