[Snort-users] Snort Vs Cisco

Ryan Russell ryan at ...35...
Tue Oct 10 18:53:33 EDT 2000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Dan Hollis wrote:

> NFR have also got an anti-linux agenda.
>
> Last time I checked they were claiming Linux couldnt snoop 100mbit of
> traffic, while BSD could.

You can listen to an interview of ours where MJR addresses this question:
http://www.securityfocus.com/media/1

In short, he says at the time (Kernel 1.x something/2.0) Linux had an
inefficient way of copying network packets around.  However, MJR claims
that even though the problem is now probably fixed in the kernel, he had
anough flames from the Linux zealots that he's not really interested in
going back to check.

It's all a bit moot now, as NFR is now an "appliance", and has it's own OS
(stripped *BSD.)  He talks about the OS a bit in the interview as well.

					Ryan