[Snort-users] A vim syntax file for snort rules

Phil Wood cpw at ...440...
Tue Oct 10 18:34:24 EDT 2000

Folks,

In an effort to be helpful in the area of snort rule generation (just the
mechanics, not the actual Ah Ha of signature analysis), I've concocted a
VIM syntax file, "hog.vim" .  This file in conjunction with the "improved" vi,
highlights key elements of the configuration language.  Currently, in a
vi window with a white background, text that appears in black is either:
punctuation; an unfinished key element; or not recognized as correct for
the situation.

It is a work in progress, and I would appreciate any comments.

I happened upon VIM on my Debian Linux system.  However, it appears that it
runs on many operating systems.  Quoting from the vim web page:

                 AmigaOS, AtariMiNT, BeOS, DOS, MacOS,
           OS/2, RiscOS, VMS, Windows (95/98/NT4/NT5/2000)

            and, of course, on UNIX in a lot of flavours:
      A/UX, AIX, BSDI, Convex, DYNIX/ptx, DG/UX, DEC Unix, FreeBSD,
       HPUX, Irix, Linux [Debian, RedHat, Slackware, SuSE,...],
        MacOSX, NetBSD, NEXTSTEP, OpenBSD, OSF, QNX, SCO, Sinix,
          Solaris, SunOS, SUPER-UX, Ultrix, Unixware, Unisys.

You can find the "hog" syntax file here:

  http://home.lanl.gov/cpw/

Thanks,

--
Phil Wood, cpw at ...440...