[Snort-users] Getting pinged by Napster

Brian Caswell bmc at ...312...
Sun Oct 8 19:33:01 EDT 2000

Daniel Swan wrote:
> According to my snort logs, every time I download a napster file, I get an Nmap ping from user hosting the file I am downloading.
>
> Can anyone make sense of this?

Yeap, that is what the protocol is supposed to do.  Napster (sender)
pings the napster (reciever) to find out what type of link there is
between them.  There is supposed to be bandwidth limiting features
coming out soon, so this feature was added a while back so the
information would be there.

Note: I don't work for or use napster, I just read the reverse
engineered protocol documentation from time to time.

--
Brian Caswell
The MITRE Corporation