[Snort-users] Snort Vs Cisco

F.M. Taylor root at ...28...
Fri Oct 6 11:48:59 EDT 2000

I am in need of some ammunition.
My network admin was born and raised by Cisco (or so it seems).  I want to
install a box with snort at our border, he wants to install a cisco black
box solution.  I need enough information to be able to shoot him down in
flames.  I am tired of being nice about it.  I know a little about snort,
since I am running it (with the ACID front end), and have been for a
couple of months.  I know nothing about any of the cisco products (except
they are spendy).

<rant>
This is the same guy who said we would never need a DNS server, and that
TCP/IP and Ethernet  was just a fad and that IPX and Token Ring was the
direction we should go. (lucky for us he was wrong on all points).
Everytime I say the words Network Security, he hears "denial of service",
"loss of control", "loss of POWER over others".

I am really starting to get tired of these people who have done nothing
else but work at this university, the same place they went to school.
They have never worked in corporate america, and basically have no clue
how a real business should be run.  It makes me want to scream sometimes.
</rant>
ahhhh, that feels better...

If you have any information/statistics that could help me in my upcoming
battle please send it over.  Maybe I will turn it into a powerpoint
presentation, they seem to like that here.

 ---
Mike Taylor
Coordinator of Systems Administration and Network Security
Indiana State University.               Rankin Hall Rm 039
210 N 7th St.                           Terre Haute, IN.
Voice: 812-237-8843                                  47809
---
"You have zero privacy anyway.  Get over it."
           --Scott McNealy, Sun MicroSystems.