[Snort-users] The truth about Napster

Steve Halligan agent33 at ...187...
Wed Oct 4 10:34:30 EDT 2000

I don't allow it on my network.  Here is why:

1)  Wasted bandwidth.
2)  <rant> The Napster server, installed by default, allows the enduser to
share a directory, or directories, of their choice.  While this may not be a
direct security risk, it certainly is a potential one.  Who wants an
end-user controlled service serving data?  Us netadmin type guys spend our
lives patrolling bugtraq and other lists for potential compromises to the
services we are running, constantly patching and upgrading and reconfiguring
to maintain our security.  Although it doesn't exist now, some day, some
hacker may come up with an exploit to napster.  Good security policy states
not to run any services that you don't need.  Napster definetely falls into
the "don't need" category. </rant>