[Snort-users] Win32 Platform Suggestions

Richard, Jeff Jeff-Richard at ...562...
Tue Oct 3 17:01:09 EDT 2000

I'm a new WinNT Snort user and wanted to let everyone know of some useful tools I have used to implement Snort.  I know there has been some consideration to implementing the Daemon option for Win32 and I'm not sure the resource expense is needed.  Listed below are a couple of programs I have used to implement Snort.  A big thanks to everyone who has donated time to the product, it's fantastic!

FireDaemon *FREE* http://www.firedaemon.com
FireDaemon is a FREE utility that allows you to install and run virtually any application as a Windows NT/2K service. FireDaemon can be used to run a variety of applications as services.

The best feature this product brings to the table is it's ability to "watch" the program running as a service.  If the watched program fails FireDaemon will restart the program automatically.

Files and directories monitoring tool *FREE* http://www.geocities.com/koenigvad/Eng/
Log Monitor is a files and directories monitoring tool. The program
periodically checks selected file's modification time and executes
external program if file's time was changed or not changed. For
directories it handles such events as files change, addition or
removal.

Great tool to capture the changes to the alerts.ids file and email, compress, backup etc..