[Snort-devel] RE: [Snort-users] beta 6 reports...

Fyodor fygrave at ...121...
Thu Nov 30 12:32:44 EST 2000

>  * Building with pthreads fails even after fixing the Makefile

eek.. :) you don't need to use pthreads, the support of pthreads
is far from being functional yet. :) Thanks for the fixes though,
which platform/compiler are you using by the way? :)
(just to make sure configure could pick the right one. -pthread works
on FreeBSD/gcc 2.95.x)

>  * The configure --with-openssl isn't quite right (need to edit Makefile)

[snip]

> openssl issue
>
> ### Need to have $openssl_dir/include in path since most .h files are
> referenced by openssl/*.h
>
> 1072 pagh:keide> diff .backup-Makefile Makefile
> 112c112
> < CPPFLAGS =  -DBSD_COMP -I/usr/bay1/include -I/services/mysql/include/mysql
> -DENABLE_MYSQL -I/services/openssl/include/openssl -DENABLE_SSL
> - ---
> > CPPFLAGS =  -DBSD_COMP -I/usr/bay1/include -I/services/mysql/include/mysql
> -DENABLE_MYSQL -I/services/openssl/include/openssl
> -I/services/openssl/include -DENABLE_SSL

actually configure.in is done so files are expected to be referenced without openssl prefix:

  AC_MSG_CHECKING("for openssl")
    for i in $openssl_directory; do
    if test -r $i/include/openssl/crypto.h; then
    if test -r $i/include/openssl/x509.h; then
    if test -r $i/include/openssl/x509_vfy.h; then
    if test -r $i/include/openssl/pem.h; then
    if test -r $i/include/openssl/ssl.h; then
    if test -r $i/include/openssl/err.h; then
    OPENSSL_DIR=$i
    OPENSSL_INC_DIR=$i/include
    fi fi fi fi fi
    elif test -r $i/include/crypto.h; then
    if test -r $i/include/x509.h; then
    if test -r $i/include/x509vrfy.h; then
    if test -r $i/include/pem.h; then
    if test -r $i/include/ssl.h; then
    if test -r $i/include/err.h; then
    OPENSSL_DIR=$i
    OPENSSL_INC_DIR=$i/include
    fi fi fi fi fi fi
    done

So I am not completely sure which fix is better:

expect to have openssl files in somedir/openssl/*.h (then we miss the second case)
or fix the source to reference to those files without any prefix and supply full path
to includes. But in this case we may run into problem with namespace overlaps. (f.e.
if some other system would have err.h header somewhere).. Any thoughts?

    I am actually unsure which distribution the second case (elif) applies
 to, my openssl source has all the includes moved to openssl dir.
 if there's a real problem with that, we could also #ifdef includes
and and would use #include <blah.h> referencies only if location of includes
with prefix fails.

--
http://www.notlsd.net