[Snort-users] libpcap? libpcapn? let's call the whole thing off?

curt curtpdx at ...834...
Thu Nov 23 12:59:12 EST 2000

thanks for the reply.  I'm sorta new at all this; should the link be:

cd /tmp/snort-1.3.6

ln -s libpcapn libpcap.a

or from another directory?  I did the install straight from LinuxNewbie.org.

FYI, here's the libpcapn package description from SuSE:

This new Version supports: - device independent libpcap, Kernel support
for new link-layers, e.g. ISDN (libpcap uses PF_PACKET,SOCK_DGRAM
instead of PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET) - IPv6 and APM support, SMB updates -
libpcap support for "In Kernel Packet Filtering" (CONFIG_FILTER)

libpcap is a library used by packet sniffer programs. It provides an
interface for them to capture and analyze packets from network devices.
This package is only needed if you plan to compile or write such a
program yourself.