[Snort-users] Using Snort code base to make an intelligent firewall

Gene Ramon Gomez ggomez at ...677...
Wed Nov 22 10:18:54 EST 2000

Brock,
The below is true; however, there's no reason why you can't create an
enhanced firewall by combining both concepts.  I believe I'm correct in
saying that most Internet-centric attacks begin with a few scans to find out
how many hosts, what OSes, what services, etc are running on your network.
If your firewall's got udp/53 and tcp/53 open, but there's potentially a new
DNS exploit you don't know about, doesn't that make the server running
behind this port open to attack?  Also, wouldn't you feel better if users
taking known hostile actions could be blocked by your firewall BEFORE they
could find this host?
GIDS, if we're calling them that, seem pretty interesting to me.  Developing
one based on Snort and iptables is a project I may undertake when I have
more time (which may be months from now).

-Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net]On Behalf Of Brock Henry
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2000 4:00 PM
To: Steve Hutchins
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Using Snort code base to make an intelligent
firewall

Hi Steve,

I'd personally rather the firewall block everyman and his dog, unless
explicitly told to allow something.

It's from opposite directions, the IDS picks up only suspicios activity,
and the firewall only allows through known-good activity.

When a new exploit comes out, the IDS won't log it, but the firewall WILL
block it, even before you know about it. This is how it should be.

Brock Henry