[Snort-users] reputation

Brian bmc at ...312...
Mon Nov 20 15:05:20 EST 2000

According to Dr SuSE:
> I think it would be cool if we created a list of companies and
> institutions that use Snort, it might help some of us in the future as far
> as obtaining approval for Snort related projects.
> I'll start the list with:
> drsuse.org

Thats not such a hot idea.  Security in depth.  Don't advertise what
software you are using.  Its great that everyone uses snort.  GIAC gets
more snort logs than anything else.

Why on earth would you publicly announce what you are using to
protect your network?  There are some things that the snort engine
does not have plug-ins for.  With the knowledge of what IDS software
people use, the attacker knows what he needs to do in order to not
get caught.

--
Brian Caswell
The MITRE Corporation