[Snort-users] reputation

Jev jev at ...819...
Mon Nov 20 10:21:13 EST 2000

Hi all,

I was recently in a meeting with one of the big 5 European banks, they
wanted an overview of the security systems we have in place on some
co-lo machines, I went through writing this up on a white board and
talked about all the different bit's n' bobs etc. Came to IDS and I
explained that we used Snort, the quiet guy said nothing and the other
guy hadn't heard of it.

Im wondering what others experiences are when talking about IDS's to
large organisations, do they scoff at you because you are using
something that didn't cost a couple K? or do they accept it? What is the
perception of snort to management that have a role in IS but doesn't know a
whole lot about the tech?

Ohh yeah, btw I think snort rocks and it works great for me, if it
didn't we would have gone for a expensive commercial beastie :)

Kind Regards,
-Jev

--
http://www.ecad.org/~jev/jev.gpg
Key fingerprint = D058 2F50 5202 4FC2 7B71  3996 369D 12C2 0F23 67D2