[Snort-users] FAQ...

Christopher Cramer cec at ...68...
Fri Nov 17 08:47:20 EST 2000

Christoph,

Here are some answers to your questions:

1.  Some of the interpretation is up to you.  The default snort.conf rules
check for many, many odd things, not necessarily evil, just
unusual.  Example, there is a rule warning of telnet connections.  Well,
telnet isn't great, and people shouldn't use it, but it doesn't mean your
network is under attack.

To help w/ all of this, I would suggest installing one of the log parsing
tools.  We use snortsnarf.  It generates html pages summarizing the
different alerts.  Where possible, it also links to www.whitehats.com for
an explanation of the particular alert.

2. "var DNSSERVERS dns1.domain.tld 111.222.111.222 dns3.domain.tld"
followed by: "preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts: DNSSERVERS" won't
work.  It turns out that this is a subtle flaw in the rule parsing
mechanisms.  Instead, use the statement:
"preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts: dns1.domain.tld 111.222.111.222
dns3.domain.tld"

This should ignore those hosts.

I hope this helps.  If you need some clarification, let me know.

-Chris

Dr. Christopher E. Cramer
Assistant Research Professor
Duke University, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
114 Hudson Hall, Box 90291, Durham, NC  27708-0291
PH:  919-660-5248     FAX:  919-660-5293     email:  cec at ...68...