[Snort-users] RE: Lastest CVS Source

Roman Danyliw roman at ...438...
Fri Nov 10 11:37:40 EST 2000

Frank,

> Where and how is openssl used within Snort?  Is it used for upstream
> reporting from the sensor to a MySQL/PostgreSQL database?

It is not related to database logging via the DB-plugin. Rather, OpenSSL
support is neccessary to do secure logging over HTTPS from the XML
plugin.  Remote logging with XML is all part of larger infrastructure of
collecting alerts encapsulated in the AIR/CERT
project: http://www.cert.org/kb/aircert/

Roman

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Frank Reid wrote:

> > Definitely something to do with openssl... by configuring
> > --without-openssl, I can get a clean compile (less the unrecognized
> > operators in CONFIG.H I described earlier).  I have openssl v0.9.5a
> > developer's headers/libraries installed... that's the same as what
> > I have on the FreeBSD box that compiles properly.
>
> Never mind... I upgraded to openssl v0.9.6, and the problems
disappeared.
> Must've been something it didn't like in my earlier
installation.  However,