[Snort-users] RE: Lastest CVS Source

Jed Pickel jed at ...153...
Fri Nov 10 11:39:07 EST 2000

> Never mind... I upgraded to openssl v0.9.6, and the problems disappeared.
> Must've been something it didn't like in my earlier installation.  However,
> any takers to my earlier question about openssl's use in Snort?

Hey Frank,

Openssl is used in the XML plugin. Posting XML based alerts via HTTPS
(with mutual authentication of server and client) is one of the
logging options within that plugin. Openssl is not required to use the
XML plugin because you can still use one of the other logging options
(file, post over http, or just a plain dump over a tcp
connection). Once IAP (The IETF IDWG proposed standard for exchanging
alert info) solidifies a bit that will be supported as well - (It will
likely also require openssl).

Interesting that you ran into compile problems with RedHat 7. I'd like
to narrow down what the issue is there if possible. I've got a plain
RedHat 7.0 box with openssl-devel-0.9.5a-14 and I can not reproduce
the error.

Regards,

* Jed