[Snort-users] Am I the only one pulling my slowly-turning-gra y hair out!

Mark Spieth mspieth at ...773...
Fri Nov 10 06:01:12 EST 2000

I have on several occasions, had to email abuse at ...530... and did get

From: Robert L. Yelvington [mailto:rly at ...579...]
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2000 1:55 PM
To: 'snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: [Snort-users] Am I the only one pulling my slowly-turning-gray
hair out!

I am using the latest 'snort' and it works like a champ!  It is
everything that I have heard about and MORE!...and no I am not on 'the
payroll'...teehee.

My question is as follows:

Since I have been monitoring and mediating network traffic on my
network(s), I have discovered actual break-in attempts, port scans, etc.
by so-called 'hackers' or 'crackers'.  No sweat.  Most of them are just
pimply faced 'script kiddies' using outta-the-box software.  No real
threats.

However, am I the only one who gets the run around when reporting this
devious activity to ISP's?  .OR. am I doing something wrong?  I know we
hate even the mention of it, but are there any laws holding ISPs
accountable?  Will someone please advise.  And one last thing (I am sure
that you folks already know), don't try to report an incident to the
folks at the "@home" network...they'll just transfer you in circles,
then hang up on you once your estimated wait time has been reached (no
offense to any of you @home techies in the audience...I know you're out
there!).

Thanks for the open ports, ladies & gentlemen.

Respectfully,
Rob