[Snort-users] Am I the only one pulling my slowly-turning-gra y hair out!

Len Burns lenb at ...750...
Wed Nov 8 18:09:31 EST 2000

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Gene R. Gomez wrote:

> Robert,
> You're probably better off just shoring up your network and sending
> logs to abuse at ...767...  You'll probably just waste your time
> otherwise; as an admin I'm pretty certain that if you picture someone
> calling YOU to complain about one of YOUR users, you'd probably
> eventually get around to tracking down who was misbehaving, but you
> probably wouldn't turn that user's name over to the other admin, and
> you'd probably have more pressing issues to get to before anything
> was looked into at all.
It seems to depend, in truth, the large isps in the US, to me have
been very unresponsive.  I rarely bother any more.  On the other hand,
When I have been scanned etc from Canada, and some places in Europe, I
have actually had cooperation.  As an admin here, and granted this is
a smaller isp, we do and have shut down accounts for aggressive
actions toward others.  In fact, if there is a question, I generally
lock the account, and contact the customer, if there is a reasonable
explanation, the account is restored, if not, it is gone and we bill
for the involved time.  We have managed to collect on a few.

-Len