[Snort-users] Am I the only one pulling my slowly-turning-gray hair out!

Robert L. Yelvington rly at ...579...
Thu Nov 9 13:54:46 EST 2000

I am using the latest 'snort' and it works like a champ!  It is
everything that I have heard about and MORE!...and no I am not on 'the payroll'...teehee.

My question is as follows:

Since I have been monitoring and mediating network traffic on my
network(s), I have discovered actual break-in attempts, port scans, etc.
by so-called 'hackers' or 'crackers'.  No sweat.  Most of them are just
pimply faced 'script kiddies' using outta-the-box software.  No real threats.

However, am I the only one who gets the run around when reporting this
devious activity to ISP's?  .OR. am I doing something wrong?  I know we
hate even the mention of it, but are there any laws holding ISPs
accountable?  Will someone please advise.  And one last thing (I am sure
that you folks already know), don't try to report an incident to the
folks at the "@home" network...they'll just transfer you in circles,
then hang up on you once your estimated wait time has been reached (no
offense to any of you @home techies in the audience...I know you're out there!).

Thanks for the open ports, ladies & gentlemen.

Respectfully,
Rob