[Snort-users] Newbie Snort Install question

Fyodor fygrave at ...89...
Tue Nov 7 02:32:53 EST 2000

> [root at ...763... snort-1.6.3]# make
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.   -I/usr/include/pcap -I/usr/include/pgsql
> -DENABLE_POSTGRESQL  -g -O2 -Wall  -c snort.c
> In file included from /usr/include/bits/errno.h:25,
>                  from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
>                  from snort.h:37,
>                  from snort.c:45:
> /usr/include/linux/errno.h:4: asm/errno.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:34,
>                  from snort.h:40,
>                  from snort.c:45:
> /usr/include/bits/socket.h:295: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from /usr/include/signal.h:294,
>                  from snort.h:47,
>                  from snort.c:45:
> /usr/include/bits/sigcontext.h:28: asm/sigcontext.h: No such file or
> directory

it looks like your kernel includes are installed incorrectly. Normally it
should be placed into /usr/src/linux/include  and symlinks are supposed to
point there from /usr/include. (As far as I remember asm is one of those
symlinks). I don't have access to a linux box on the moment, buf if these
things wouldn't work for you, let me know and we will try to investigate
the problem further :)

 hope it helps
-Fyodor