[Snort-users] Question About the Current CVS version of snort

Christopher Cramer cec at ...68...
Sun Nov 5 14:01:05 EST 2000

In theory, it should use ~128 kB per monitored connection.  What
connections are currently being monitored is a function of the timeout
(specified in the preprocessor statement in the config file), what ports
are being monitored, how many hosts the monitor can see and how many new
connections are created/destroyed within the timeout.

Around here, it usually levels off around 30 MB or so, but I should
probably run this on our production snort box again to verify that (this
has mainly been a time thing and not a lack of confidence thing :-)
I did recently add some hashing to TCP reassembly code, I supose that
could have screwed up the correct releasing of memory.

One feature that I need to add is the ability specify which servers to
monitor so that you don't end up monitoring your client's connections to
external servers.

Sorry I can't be of more help right now, but since you have brought it up,
I will go back and reverify the lack of memory leaks.

-Chris