[Snort-users] Logging Error

Jeffrey Denton dentonj at ...202...
Sun Jul 30 18:35:01 EDT 2000

I'm new to this list. Excuse me if this has already been covered.  I
looked through the archives on the website, but didn't find anything.

Snort version 1.6.3
Slackware 7.1
2.2.16
egcs-2.91.66

#snort -s -d -i ppp0 -l /usr/adm/snort -c /etc/snort/rules.base

I get the following error when I run the above command:

[!] ERROR:Can not get write to logging directory /usr/adm/snort.
(directory doesn't exist or permissions are set incorrectly)

#ls -l /usr/adm/snort
-rw-------   1 root     root            0 Jul 30 13:38 /usr/adm/snort

I've tried every permission from 600 to 777.  If I run snort without -l I
get:

# snort -s -i ppp0 -c /etc/snort/vision.conf

[!] ERROR:Can not get write to logging directory /var/log/snort.
(directory doesn't exist or permissions are set incorrectly)

# ls -l /var/log/snort
-rw-------   1 root     root            0 Jul 30 13:38 /var/log/snort

/usr/adm is ln -s to /var/log.

Any ideas?