[Snort-users] re: Why Gibson scans don't register

Don Heffernan donheff at ...88...
Sun Jul 30 11:23:58 EDT 2000

Thanks Ed.  It set the preprocessor time setting up (way up) and caught
the port scans.

There are a lot of NetBios alerts in the rule set, but I don't register
grc's attempts to access port 139 when I use it's "shields test."  I
would guess that it does a quick single port scan to see if 139 is open
before it does any further tests.  It wouldn't see 139 in my case and
would not proceed to run the more detailed tests that would trigger
specific NetBios alerts.

Thanks,

Don