[Snort-users] IDS monitoring unbound NIC on firewalled box

Bill Pennington billp at ...60...
Sat Jul 29 12:23:05 EDT 2000

This is a fairly standard way to run a "protected" IDS system.

The only problem is that it violates the common single choke point
design. If someone compromises your dual homed IDS box then they can
bypass your firewall completely.

Having said that if someone compromises your IDS I think it is game over
at that point :-). I have run this setup at many clients and I feel
better about it than leaving an exposed host out in the open, but thats
just me :-)