[Snort-users] network card shutting itself down <slight off topic>

Robert Hentosh hentosh at ...152...
Tue Jul 25 06:41:42 EDT 2000

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 12:10:04PM -0700, Andrew R. Baker wrote:

> Actually, I have experienced the same problem with the Intel
> EtherExpress Pro 100 card in a similar enviroment.  With a sustained
  :: snip ::
> traffic) would be fine.  I "fixed" it by adding a cron job that would
> reload the driver
> periodically.  This is probably a driver issue, but since I am not
> responsible for the machine anymore I won't investigate.  However, the
> DEC tulip card I had sniffing the same traffic never gave me any
> trouble.
>
> -Andrew
>

> Jeff Nathan wrote:
> >
> > Hi Guys.
> >
> > I wanted to preface this response by saying "I'm really biased against
> > the 3Com 3c905 card".  Now then, with that be said I wanted to suggest
> > downing the interface and then bring it back up.  That _might_ help.
  :: snip ::

I have also had the same problem with the link going down.  In my case it would take around 3 days before the link would die. After bringing down the interface and then back up. The link would only stay up for another 5 to 24 hours.  My final solution was switching to a FA310TX.  It has been up 6 months without problems on a fairly high traffic subnet (with snort).