[Snort-users] network card shutting itself down <slight off topic>

Andrew R. Baker andrewb at ...2...
Mon Jul 24 15:10:04 EDT 2000

Actually, I have experienced the same problem with the Intel
EtherExpress Pro 100 card in a similar enviroment.  With a sustained
traffic flow of 10-20Mbps the card would stop seeing any packets, but
the link would stay up.  I had to down the interface and reload the
driver module (this was a Linux 2.2 box).
The other EEPro cards in the box (the ones not being used to sniff
traffic) would be fine.  I "fixed" it by adding a cron job that would
reload the driver
periodically.  This is probably a driver issue, but since I am not
responsible for the machine anymore I won't investigate.  However, the
DEC tulip card I had sniffing the same traffic never gave me any
trouble.

-Andrew

--
Andrew R. Baker                   <andrewb at ...2...>
Core R&D                         http://www.hiverworld.com