[Snort-users] network card shutting itself down <slight off topic>

Jeff Nathan jeff at ...2...
Sat Jul 22 22:22:04 EDT 2000

Hi Guys.

I wanted to preface this response by saying "I'm really biased against
the 3Com 3c905 card".  Now then, with that be said I wanted to suggest
downing the interface and then bring it back up.  That _might_ help.
I've also seen suggestions to use the Intel EtherExpress card, which is
indeed a great card (I85229 chipset cards rock!) and tends to have great
driver support.  In the course of (ahem) performance testing some
network equipment, I've seen a boatload of 3Com 3c905 cards go belly up.

Jerry Shenk wrote:

> I don't have a solution but I do have the same problem.  In this case, my
> 'problem box' is a 486/66 with a 3c509.  I whipped up a workaround script
> that checks for IP connectivity with 4 hosts and if they're all down, it
> fixes the problem.  Initially, I 'fixed the problem' with
> '/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart' but that seemed to only work for a couple
> hours, maybe a day.  I recently changed that to 'shutdown -r now' and that
> seems to be doing better...that is, I get a week between problems now.  On
> this system, the traffic is not the problem, it's a DSL line which is a LOT
> slower than what you have and it doesn't seem to be dropping when traffic is
> particularly high.  In my case, obviously the whole box could (should?) be
> replaced but.....  Ya know, as I'm thinking about this, I've had this happen
> on my home box also which is also a 486/66 but more importantly, it also has
> a 3c509 that's giving me the problem....the other NIC (at home) is something
> else (I forget) and it never gives me a problem.  This is beginning to sound
> like a NIC problem to me.

Jeff Nathan                          <jeff at ...2...>
Core R&D                         http://www.hiverworld.com
Hiverworld, Inc.       Continuous Adaptive Risk Management