[Snort-users] Re: [snort] Problems configuring 1.6.2.2 under Linux

Martin Roesch roesch at ...1...
Thu Jul 20 00:13:24 EDT 2000

Try http://host22-107.prestige.net/snort-1.6.3-beta5.tar.gz

The local network in my house (where it's hosted currently) was down last
night as I shuffled half of my computers into my basement and moved the rest
to my new home office.  The link should be good tonight...

    -Marty

Bug Hunter wrote:

> I am running RedHat 5.2, kernel 2.0.38. I had no problems at all with 1.6.
> I will attempt to find the latest beta if Marty will post a good URL.
> I get this error message "too many arguments" whether I use the
> --with-pcap-* or not. Funny thing is it worked once but would not compile
> so I thought I would try again and now I can't get it to ./configure even
> once. I will let you know how it goes with beta5 when I get it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> At 07:36 AM 7/19/00 +0700, you wrote:
> >
> >what linux distro are you running? it says `test too many argument's,
> >which means that either arguments youre supplying with --with-pcap-* stuff
> >aren't correct or the test  command on your distro is incompatiible.
> >

> > On
> >Fri, 14 Jul 2000 out of nowhere Bug Hunter spoke:
> >
> >~ :Hey,
> >~ :   I'm a long time lurker and user of snort but this is the first version
> >~ :giving me problems. When I run the configure script it kicks out every time
> >~ :with this:
> >~ :>checking whether sendto must be declared... no
> >~ :>checking whether vsnprintf must be declared... no
> >~ :>checking whether strtoul must be declared... no
> >~ :>checking for pcap.h... ./configure: test: too many arguments
> >~ :>no
> >~ :>
> >~ :>   ERROR!  Libpcap header not found, go get it from
> >~ :>   ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/libpcap.tar.Z
> >~ :>   or use the --with-libpcap-* options.
> >~ :>   See the INSTALL file for more information.
> >~ :Now I know my libpcap is installed properly because I have a couple of
> >~ :other pieces of software, not to mention Snort 1.6 compiled and running
> >~ :just fine on the system. I re-installed libpcap and used the
> >~ :--with-pcap-includes and --with-pcap-libraries as recommended and it still
> >~ :doesn't work. Are there any other suggestions or hints as to where to look?
> >~ :
> >~ :Scott
> >~ :
> >~ :

Martin Roesch                      <roesch at ...2...>
Core R&D                         http://www.hiverworld.com
Hiverworld, Inc.       Continuous Adaptive Risk Management