[Snort-users] Snort-1.6.3-beta4

F.M. Taylor root at ...28...
Tue Jul 18 11:40:11 EDT 2000

While I did not let it go to the point of death, I got the same message
under Linux (slack 7).

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

> Hmm, I tested the lateset (beta 5??) on FreeBSD 4.0 and HP-UX 10.20, and on
> both I got "Garbage Packet with Null Pointer discarded!" messages in my log:
>
> Jul 18 09:59:13 snort[84426]: Garbage Packet with Null Pointer discarded!
> Jul 18 09:59:44 last message repeated 16 times
>
> And on the HP-UX box snort died shortly afterwards.
>
> I dropped the preprocessor: defrag from my rules and now it seems to run
> again.

---
Mike Taylor
Coordinator of Systems Administration and Network Security
Indiana State University.               Rankin Hall Rm 039
210 N 7th St.                           Terre Haute, IN.
Voice: 812-237-8843                                  47809
---
"You have zero privacy anyway.  Get over it."
           --Scott McNealy, Sun MicroSystems.