[Snort-users] Snort User Base

Dragos Ruiu dr at ...50...
Wed Aug 30 05:10:02 EDT 2000

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, DmuZ wrote:
> The mention of the magazine article makes me curious. What sort of user base
> does Snort have in terms of numbers? Are there any figures out there?

You know what... I'm kinda curious about this myself. One solution is to take a
survey, so I had an idea, a quick fast thing would be a small automated survey.

I know I'm not the only one who is interested in just what the snort user base
is like.... soo if you take a second and reply to this, filling in the blanks
below, maybe we can shed some light on this mystery for all of us.
I'll autoprocess replies to this message, just reply, fill in the questions
below as per the instructions, and I'll post what the scripts tally up
the sums and summaries to the group.  Please reply to dr at ...381...
and not the list.

20 questions about Snort (well ok 21 :)
===============================

Snort Survey - (please send reply to dr at ...381... with Snort User Base in subj.)

(Instructions: for multiple choice on the reply, delete the appropriate words so
your answer remains, multiple answers ok, for numeric or comment parameters
put the value after the ":"  blank/empty answers ok)

1. What OS do you runs Snort on?
-OS: OpenBSD FreeBSD NetBSD Solaris SunOS Linux HP-UX AIX IRIX Tru64  MacOSX Windows BeOs
2. How many snort sensors do you use?
-Sensors:
3. How much traffic do they process per week in gigabytes?
-Traffic:
5. The fastest link you put snort on is(in Mbps, .05 for dialup, 8 ADSL, 10 Cablemodem, 1000 GigE )
-Fastest:
6. The fastest live traffic rate you've used snort on is(in Mbps)
-Peak:
7. The average link speed/usage I deploy snort on (Mbps)...
-Average:
8. The number of rules you typically configure....
-Rules:
9. The amount of RAM in my Snorters:
-Mem:
10. The CPU used for Snort (Mhz)
-CPU:
11. NIC type I like to use (e.g. 3com 3c509, Intel EtherExpress):
-NIC:
12. Favorite thing about snort(put comment after ":")
-Best:
13. Least Favorite thing about snort(put comment after ":")
-Worst:
14: Future feature you need most
-Future:
15. The next best future feature you need:
-Next:
16: Number of alerts a day you log on average:
-Alerts:
17. Please describe any special or interesting application you may have for Snort...
-Application:
18. Number of attackers caught successfully with snort....
-Busted:
19. Most interesting attack origin or type logged by snort...
-Attack:
20. Name any interesting modifications to snort you use locally...
-Modifications:
21. Most common false alarm on your snort:
-False:

Thanks for taking time to answer this... maybe the results will
be interesting for all of us.

cheers,
--dr

--
dursec.com ltd. / kyx.net - we're from the future
pgp fingerprint: 18C7 E37C 2F94 E251 F18E  B7DC 2B71 A73E D2E8 A56D