[Snort-users] snort seems to mysteriously crash

Dragos Ruiu dr at ...50...
Wed Aug 23 16:25:26 EDT 2000

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Erv Walter wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm using snort-1.6.3-3 (debian package), and snort works great as I have it
> configured, but mysteriously dies after some unknown amount of time (no
> sysllog messages or anything).  I'm doing some non-daemon mode tests now to
> see if I can tell when and why it dies, but I was wondering if anyone else
> had seen this behavior.  Basically, I log back on a day or two later, and
> it's gone.  I can always setup a script that keeps restarting it when it
> dies, but if this is a known (and fixable) problem, I'd like to do the
> correct fix instead.

Are you using the defragger and is it upgraded to either Beta17 or Beta18
if you are... because that would explain the symptoms you are seeing.

Are you finding any core files? They will give more hints...

cheers,
--dr

--
dursec.com ltd. / kyx.net - we're from the future
pgp fingerprint: 18C7 E37C 2F94 E251 F18E  B7DC 2B71 A73E D2E8 A56D