[Snort-users] Snort vs. LIDS?

Mullen, Patrick Patrick.Mullen at ...24...
Mon Aug 21 09:49:08 EDT 2000

>  I'm trying to decide what IDS package to use for
> Linux.  I've had several recommendations for both
> snort and LIDS, but I thought I'd see if anyone
> here might have any comments about using LIDS over
> snort or vice versa.

LIDS is host-based security, snort is network-based security.
LIDS protects one machine, snort protects many.
Ideally, you would run LIDS to keep your machine from being
cracked and snort to detect when someone was trying to
crack your machine.