[Snort-users] snort seems to mysteriously crash

Fyodor fygrave at ...121...
Sun Aug 20 13:50:22 EDT 2000

~ :
~ :I'm using snort-1.6.3-3 (debian package), and snort works great as I have it
~ :configured, but mysteriously dies after some unknown amount of time (no
~ :sysllog messages or anything).  I'm doing some non-daemon mode tests now to
~ :see if I can tell when and why it dies, but I was wondering if anyone else
~ :had seen this behavior.  Basically, I log back on a day or two later, and
~ :it's gone.  I can always setup a script that keeps restarting it when it
~ :dies, but if this is a known (and fixable) problem, I'd like to do the

 hmm.. is snort-1.6.3-3 is an upgraded version with all the recent patches
included? Running in daemon mode you can attach gdb to that (which would
be also quite handy for debugging) and when snort dies you will see a
`cause of death` in gdb output as well :)