[Snort-users] What is 'SMB Name Wildcard'

Fyodor fygrave at ...121...
Sun Aug 20 04:01:52 EDT 2000

~ :
~ :I have a probably dumb question: What is the meaning of 'SMB Name
~ :Wildcard'.

SMB Name Wildcard is usually used to request remote machine netbios name
(you will need it if you would want to mount remote machine shares
f.e.). It could be considered as malicuious attempt or maybe as a sign of
broken application too (althrough I am not aware of such, anyone?). I've
written a small program around 2 years ago to send `SMB Name Wildcard'
request which I used to .. *umm*.. access my friend's windoze boxens
shares while they were sitting on their dialups. :) Checkout
http://www.kalug.lug.net/coding, look for the code called `tellme' :)
there's also a paper by hobbit called `cifs.txt' which would tell you a
lot on that matter :)