[Snort-users] RE: portscan-ignorehosts not working

Christopher Cramer cec at ...68...
Fri Aug 18 12:14:37 EDT 2000

Jason,

The reason for this is the following:

Patrick's portscan-ignorehosts preprocessor receives N input
arguments.  In the case of $DNS1, $DNS2, $DNS3, there are three input
arguments.  When Patrick processes his input arguments, all he knows is
that there are three of them.  For each of the three he makes a call to a
internal snort function which fills in a network/netmask structure based
on the value of the variable.

Unfortunately, this internal snort function only handles the first
network/netmask in a variable (currently snort doesn't handle variables w/
multiple networks specified in them).  So, when the portscan preprocessor
handles its arguments, it basically does the following:

for i=1 -> num_args       [num_args is 3 in your case]
  create place for network/netmask i
  call internal snort function to process arg[i]
  save this single network/netmask to ignore

since the internal snort function only grabs the 1st network/netmask in
the variable, and the preprocessor only has 3 arguments, you only are
setup to disregard the first network/netmask in each of the three
variables.

If you were to write:

var DNS1  x.y.z.1/32  x.y.z.2/32 x.y.z.3/32  ... x.y.z.6/32
preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts: $DNS1

then this would be read as one argument to portscan-ignorehosts which
would only pull one network/netmask from the variable, leaving you only
disregarding x.y.z.1/32

if however, you did:

preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts:x.y.z.1/32 x.y.z.2/32 x.y.z.3/32...x.y.z.6/32

then you would have 6 arguments to portscan-ignorehosts and you would
correctly handle the 6 network/netmask values to ignore.

You could also write this as:

var DNS1  x.y.z.1/32
var DNS2  x.y.z.2/32
var DNS3  x.y.z.3/32
var DNS4  x.y.z.4/32
var DNS5  x.y.z.5/32
var DNS6  x.y.z.6/32
preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts: $DNS1 ... $DNS6

portscan-ignorehosts would have 6 args and all would be well.

I hope this gives some explanation for the behavior you are seeing.

-Chris