[Snort-users] error messages on fbsd 4.1 (garbage packets, free() bugs?)

thomas r stromberg l.snort-users at ...330...
Tue Aug 15 12:22:07 EDT 2000

   I couldn't find anyone else with this problem, but when I run snort
   on our FreeBSD 4.1 firewall, I get some really weird messages. To be
   honest, it kind of makes me frightful of relying on snort for as an ids :)

   I didn't used to get this with 1.6 under FreeBSD 4.0. Any kind of
   info would be much appreciated. Thanks for the excellent peice of
   software! I'm more then happy to provide any kind of debugging
   (tcpdumps, what not)

   this is what a session looks like:

   -*> Snort! <*-
   Version 1.6.3
   By Martin Roesch (roesch at ...66..., www.snort.org)
   Garbage Packet with Null Pointer discarded!
   Garbage Packet with Null Pointer discarded!
   Garbage Packet with Null Pointer discarded!
   ^C
   Exiting...
   snort in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.

   Snort received 1947 packets and dropped 0(0.000%) packets

   Breakdown by protocol:
       TCP: 1872       (96.148%)
       UDP: 50         (2.568%)
      ICMP: 6          (0.308%)
     FRAGS: 0          (0.000%)
       ARP: 0          (0.000%)
      IPv6: 0          (0.000%)
       IPX: 0          (0.000%)
     OTHER: 6          (0.308%)

   Machine is:
   -----------
   FreeBSD calamari.aquarium.rtci.com 4.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE #0:
   Tue Aug  1 17:49:19 EDT 2000
   tstromberg at ...329...:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TENTACLE
   i386

   Unique Traffic:
   HP Openview (pings, snmp)
   Full News Feed
   HSRP Traffic

--
thomas r. stromberg                :               tstromberg at ...330...
senior systems administrator       :      http://www.afterthought.org/