[Snort-users] Machine freezes... whose fault...?

Fyodor fygrave at ...121...
Mon Aug 14 06:32:00 EDT 2000

~ :Hello there,
~ :I am quite embarassed about this question, but still I have a
~ :problem whose cause I'm not sure about. I have a FreeBSD 4.0
~ :RELEASE box running snort, equipped with two stone age AT1500
~ :NICs. I know these cards are s***e, but they were the only ones
~ :at hand until now. Now, I frequently get messages like these:
~ :
~ :Aug 14 11:16:36 koeter /kernel: lnc0: Receive overflow error
~ :Aug 14 11:16:36 koeter /kernel: lnc1: Receive overflow error
~ :Aug 14 11:16:36 koeter /kernel: lnc0: Receive overflow error

I would think it's hardware problem (and maybe inability of driver to
handle errors properly as well). Very likely NIC is the cause of the whole
mess.. hope it helps :)