[Snort-users] Machine freezes... whose fault...?

Jan Muenther jan at ...206...
Mon Aug 14 05:35:58 EDT 2000

Hello there,
I am quite embarassed about this question, but still I have a
problem whose cause I'm not sure about. I have a FreeBSD 4.0
RELEASE box running snort, equipped with two stone age AT1500
NICs. I know these cards are s***e, but they were the only ones
at hand until now. Now, I frequently get messages like these:

Aug 14 11:16:36 koeter /kernel: lnc0: Receive overflow error
Aug 14 11:16:36 koeter /kernel: lnc1: Receive overflow error
Aug 14 11:16:36 koeter /kernel: lnc0: Receive overflow error

...and the machine sometimes freezes after a few days. Not quite
the way I like it.
The reason I post this to the snort list is that I ask myself
whether this is strictly an issue of trashy NICs or whether the
machine I'm using (Compaq P 166, 32MB RAM) can't quite cut the
mustard in combination with snort and a 128kbit leased line -
that's not exactly heavy traffic, is it...?

What would you guys say from your own experience... will
replacing the NICs with a couple of brand new 3Coms do the job or
do I have to nag my boss for another machine...??

Bye, and TIA

Jan
--
Radio HUNDERT,6 Medien GmbH Berlin