[Snort-users] sizing a snort ids system?

Dragos Ruiu dr at ...50...
Thu Aug 10 16:45:17 EDT 2000

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Ed Szynaka wrote:
> > A Sun Ultra 30 should be capable of doing that. 45 Mbit/s will eat up ~50% CPU
> > I think. Snort does not need very much memory, so the ususal 128 MB should be
> > enough.
> >
> > Same with a 500-800 MHz x86, but I don't have experiences with that. From what
> > was said on the list, the most important thing is to use high quality network
> > cards.
> >

> Which network cards would be considered "high quality" network cards?

Avoid any NE2000 card. They do not do DMA.

I've had good success with:
-3Com 3c905 (though I know a few people hate them, Jeff)
-Any DEC 2114x / Tulip derivative
-Intel Ether Express Pro
-VIA Rhine chipsets

I'm sure others may be able to chime in with any others...

cheers,
--dr

--
dursec.com ltd. / kyx.net - we're from the future    http://www.dursec.com