[Snort-users] Problem with mysql + 1.6.3

Jed Pickel jed at ...153...
Mon Aug 7 10:27:55 EDT 2000

Lee wrote..
> > Initializing rule chains...
> > log_database: Database type is mysql
> > log_database: Database name is snort
> > log_database: Host set to localhost
> > log_database: User set to root
> > Problem obtaining SENSOR ID (sid) from mysql->snort->event
>
> I think the --enable-mysql compile time flag was removed in 1.6.3 .  I had
> a similar problem and had to compile with
> --with-mysql-includes=/usr/include/mysql --with-mysql-libraries=/usr/lib

In version 1.6.3, it turns out that many people have seen this error
because they did not compile in support for their database. There is
some error checking code to report this problem that I did not get to
Marty in time to make it in the 1.6.3 release. You can get the version
that has that from CVS.

Anyway, if you are still having this problem you can take a look at
the updated the installation and configuration information at the
following web site.

   http://www.incident.org/snortdb

Also, there is not currently (and there never has been) an
"--enable-mysql" option for the ./configure script. Based on some
emails I have been sent directly, there is still some problems with
the configure script in some situations. If you are one of those
having problems you can find a temporary workaround at the website
mentioned above.

* Jed