[Snort-users] RE: How to use -A unsock option

Sean C Doherty seand at ...232...
Sun Aug 6 17:31:43 EDT 2000

Hi,

Just trying my question again. (see below)  Perhaps I should not have
mentioned the Win98 word (:

Background:

I am running snort on win32 because I don't want to have to "dumb down" a
Linux box to just be a snort IDS appliance with no other services.  Snort
can be pretty useful on win32 when used with zonealarm.exe  from
www.zonelabs.com  for securing the win32 machine, and a simple VB "alert.ids
file monitor" that I wrote that uses smtp to notify me of new alerts by
pager,  ice or cell phone via email.  I am considering adding an ability to
the application to trigger a "windump" (tcpdump for win32 which uses the
same packet driver as snort) on a session based on the IDS number of the
alert and the src and dst of the session

Rather than monitoring the file "alert.ids" for changes, I would prefer to
be able to have my VB application listen to snort using the --unsock option
if I knew how to implement it.

Sorry for asking the same question a second time, I have really spent a lot
of time searching the web and various doc files for the answer.

Again, my compliments to the developers of snort, and also for providing the
win32 version.

Thanks,

Sean D